How to wear what you want with confidence
Method 1 Deciding What to Wear When You’re Uninspired
1Build an outfit using one piece as inspiration. If you have a new piece of clothing you’ve been dying to wear, consider anchoring your outfit around that one piece. If it’s a nice shirt, find pants and shoes that complement that shirt. If your inspiration piece is a new dress, add a statement necklace to take the dress to the next level.
- You can also use shoes or an accessory as your base piece. If you have a cool new hat, you might want to choose a more subdued outfit so your hat can take center stage.
- Try the entire outfit on in front of a full-length mirror (including the shoes). Shoes can make or break an outfit, so it’s important to see what the outfit looks like with all the pieces.
2Have a several outfits on standby. If you’re running late, you may not have the time to put together an entirely new outfit. Think back on outfits you’ve worn in the past and gotten compliments on. Save these outfits and wear them when you find yourself in a hurry or style rut.
- Take pictures of your standby outfits and save them on your phone. This will help you remember what you wore the last time you wore the outfit.
- To change the outfit up slightly, substitute new shoes and accessories.
3Choose a color scheme. A color scheme should consist of two main colors, with the option to add in additional colors as accents. If you’re dressing yourself in the fall, combine mustard yellow and gray. If you’re planning an outfit in spring, try pairing two different pastel shades.
- Your color scheme should serve as a jumping off point. Don’t feel like you have to restrict your entire outfit to only two colors.
- Instead of choosing a color scheme, choose a printed piece of clothing and track down clothing pieces that pair well with that print.
4Plan your outfit the night before. If you constantly find yourself struggling to pick out an outfit in the morning, consider selecting your outfit the night before. You’ll have more time, so you won’t feel as stressed, plus, picking out a fun outfit to wear will give you something to look forward to in the morning.
- Try your outfit on in front of a mirror to make sure you like it and all the pieces work together.
- Make sure to check the weather before planning your outfit; there’s nothing worse than picking out the right outfit for the wrong weather.
5Dress for your body type. Everyone is shaped differently and sometimes, if you don’t like your outfit, it might be because of the way it fits. On days where you feel uncomfortable in your own skin, reach for pieces that you know show your body off to its fullest potential.
- If you have an hourglass figure, select a dress with a belt to show off your small waist.
- If you carry weight around your middle, try a high-waisted skirt to draw the eye to the smallest part of your torso.
- If you carry weight around your hips, wear boot cut jeans to make your lower half look more proportional.
- Make sure your figure enhancing pieces are comfortable. You’re not going to reach for them if they’re too tight or restricting.
6Get a second opinion. When all else fails, ask someone to weigh in on your outfit choice. Take pictures of one or two outfits you’re considering and send them to someone you trust, like your best friend or mother.
- If you can’t reach anyone and you need to make a decision quickly, you can also utilize apps like StyleIt to help plan your outfit.
- Invest in a full-length, tri-fold mirror. A mirror like this will allow you to see your outfit from all angles and will aid in the decision making process.
Method 2 Dressing for an Occasion
1Select an outfit for a wedding. Dressing for a wedding is tricky because it varies depending on time of year and wedding location. The one constant rule for weddings is don’t wear white. Other than that, take your fashion cues from the invitation.
- If the wedding explicitly states black tie, plan to wear a tux or evening gown.
- If the wedding takes place during the day or outside, wear a more casual dress or suit. Men may be able to get away with slacks and a button down shirt.
- If the ceremony takes place in a house of worship, bring a sweater to cover any exposed how to wear what you want with confidence shoulders.
2Select an outfit for a job interview. Once upon a time, the only appropriate clothing to wear to a job interview was a suit. Now, times have changed, and depending on where you’re interviewing, a suit may be a little too much.
- If you’re interviewing for a job in finance, business or law, men and women alike should expect to wear a suit.
- If you’re interviewing for a startup company or for a more creative field, try wearing a dress and cardigan or a pencil skirt with a cropped jacket. Men should wear slacks and a nice button down shirt.
3Select an outfit for school. Since you’ll be in class all day, you’ll want to pick an outfit that is comfortable, while still expressing your sense of style and personality. Make sure to pick an outfit that fits within your school dress code, otherwise you may be asked to go home and change.
- For girls who like to be comfortable, wear a pair of jeans with a graphic tee and add a zip up hoodie for warmth. Give your outfit an added boost with a pair of patterned sneakers.
- For girls who like to dress up, wear a skirt and blouse, with patterned leggings tucked into boots.
- Most guys prefer some variation on jeans, t-shirts and sweatshirts. On days where you’d like to look nicer, swap out the hoodie for a pullover sweater.
4Select an outfit for work. Your work outfit will be dictated by your company culture and it may take a few weeks of working in an office to figure out the rules. And while some offices allow you to wear jeans to work, you can never go wrong with business casual.
- Look at what the most powerful person in your office wears and take your cues from them.
- Very few workplaces are cool with employees wearing shorts or flip flops. Avoid both of these clothing items at all costs.
- Lots of corporate offices tend to run cold, so wear light layers to keep yourself warm.
Method 3 Dressing for the Weather
1Dress for humidity. Humidity causes you to sweat more than you would normally, and it’s important to consider this if you want your clothing to remain sweat free. When dressing for humidity, choose outfits that fall away from your body and touch your skin as little as possible.
- Avoid synthetic fabrics at all costs.
- Swap out jeans and t-shirts in favor of long, flowy dresses.
2Dress for the freezing cold. It’s very hard to look fashionable when you’re also trying not to freeze to death, but it can be done. Pick warm fabrics like wool, fleece, cashmere, down and flannel and avoid cotton.
- Dress in heavy layers and don’t skimp on the outerwear. You can always take it off inside.
- Do not leave any exposed skin. Exposed skin leaves you vulnerable to frostbite. If you’re concerned about wearing the wrong shoes, bring a cuter pair of shoes to change into once you’re inside.
3Dress for fluctuating temperatures. Some areas of the world experience extreme temperature fluctuations – even within the course of just one day. Dress for the unexpected by wearing extra layers and packing additional layers to wear when your light layers just don’t cut it.
- In addition to wearing a light cardigan, pack an anorak or fleece for when the sun goes down.
- If a simple pair of tights is not sufficient, double up on tights, or swap out regular tights in favor of fleece lined leggings.
- If you’re carrying a purse or bag, throw in an extra pair of socks, along with some mittens and a warm hat.
What do I wear when there isn't much in my wardrobe?
Try to mix and match. Combine different pieces in different ways to come up with new outfits, or see if a friend wants to swap clothes with you.Thanks!
Not Helpful 0 Helpful 1
What should I wear to art class?
Wear whatever you want. No one in art class cares about what you wear.Thanks!
Not Helpful 0 Helpful 1
What to wear to an adult birthday party?
It depends on the type of party. In many cases, a pair of jeans and nice top will suffice. If it's a little more fancy, you may want to wear a nice dress and heels (if you're a woman) or dress pants and a button-down shirt (if you're a man). How to Dress up for a Party may help you.Thanks!
Not Helpful 0 Helpful 0
Unanswered QuestionsShow more unanswered questions
Ask a Question
200 characters leftSubmit
If this question (or a similar one) is answered twice in this section, please click here to let us know.
- Dress for yourself. As long as you like what you’re wearing, it doesn’t matter what other people think.
Why you should wear what you want Boys hairstyle 2017 photo
What makes pink a distinctively ‘chic’ color is generally unknown. Maybe it is just one of the fashion.