Figure flattering swimsuit tips
by Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire)
Hi. My name is Tina and I’m an appleholic. Yes, I feel like I’m introducing myself at some kind of meeting when I admit that I’m an apple-shaped woman with a top-heavy body. Hey, it also means that I can help you find the right swimsuit if you have broad shoulders, large breasts, a round tummy, narrow hips, and skinny legs. And, I can help you even if you’re a young, skinny apple, because when I was young, I had broad shoulders, round breasts, a totally flat tummy, a broad back, and no hips or tushie… a boyishly shaped apple.
Yes indeedie, skinny chicks can have apple bodies. So… young, old, round stomach, flat stomach… if you’re an apple, it’s just the shape that God gave you.
Women Over 40, 50, 60: Older Women Become Apples
If you’re an older, post-menopausal woman, your lower estrogen levels will cause your body to store fat in your abdomen instead of your hips and thighs. It’s not the end of the world. It’s just a different world.
Hide Tummy & Divert Attention
Bathing Suits for Apple Shapes
If you’re skinny, you can wear almost any swimsuit or bikini style, but if you’re older or chubbier, you should pay attention to swimsuit prints, necklines, and silhouettes.
There are a lot of articles about what apples should (or shouldn’t) wear, but the writers always seem to get a few things wrong… at least from my perspective. So, if you have a cute, round tummy or a top-heavy figure, you’ve come to the right place. I say that there are no actual “rules” for your body type because we’re all built a little differently, however I can tell you what works for me. And, what works for me might work for you.
Swimsuits for Apple Bodies
1. Draw Attention Away from Your figure flattering swimsuit tips Tummy: A great bathing suit will make people notice your breasts and your skinny legs rather than your fat tum. Details near your chest or neck are fabulous. High-cut bottoms are also great as long as they aren’t high enough to show the stretch marks from your first pregnancy.
And, because your upper body looks wider than it should, you need to shop around for the right neckline. Here are the ones I like.
V-neck, Pattern, Halter Swimsuits
2. V-Necks or Halter Necklines: Plunging necklines break up the space between your broad shoulders, making your body look narrower than it is. V-necks and halters are also good for thick torsos and short necks… both of which I have had since I was 5 years old. Lucky me.
3. Scoop Neck Swimsuits: Just like a V-neck, a low scoop neckline breaks up that wide area of your upper torso. And, showing a bit of cleavage keeps people from looking at your wrinkles.
4. Strapless Bandeau Necklines: Don’t be afraid to wear a bandeau. Just make sure the swimsuit has enough support to hold up your boobs or else find a suit that comes with removable straps… if you have any doubts. And, if your upper arms are fat, wear a swimsuit that doesn’t contrast too much with your skintone… but don’t get a color that makes you look like you’re wearing nothing. Attention getting… yes. Chic… no.
sweetheart swimsuit: photo lands end prshots.com
5. Sweetheart Necklines: A sweetheart neckline is good for almost all women. It’s a shape that forms two curves at the bustline, similar to the top of a heart. Sweetheart necklines make flat women look curvy and give coverage to large breasted chicks.
6. Prints as Camouflage: A good print will be somewhat confusing and act like camouflage. Leopard is an excellent example. Allover prints with lots of contrast are usually good, too. Try on different sizes of prints to see what looks good from the front, then turn sideways and see if your tummy area looks okay.
7. Color Block Swimsuits: If you’re getting a bathing suit with color blocking, don’t get a suit that has high contrast right at the waist. It will make people look at your stomach.
Tankini for Apple Body
8. Tankini Two-Piece Swimsuits: I’m long waisted, so I’ve always gotten a better fit with tankinis than with one-piece swimsuits. And, now that my tummy is even rounder (larger) due to taking prednisone medication, I really need the ability to play with the fit of the top and bottom sections. In addition, I always look for a high-waisted bikini bottom that comes up near my belly button. That way, my shark-bait (white) tummy will never show… in theory.
plus sized ruched swimsuit: photo LongTallSally prshots.com
9. Swimsuits with Ruching: While ruching does draw attention to the ruched area, it also makes that area look smaller because it looks like that part of your body doesn’t fill out the bathing suit. It’s a weird kind of trompe-l'œil.
empire swim dress: photo marisota prshots.com
10. Empire Style Swimdresses: Just like when you’re pregnant, an empire swimdress will flare out and make your body look somewhat more proportional and feminine. If you don’t find anything with enough flare, look for a “fly-away” tankini style.
11. Swimsuits with Ruffles: Ruffles can be just plain weird or they can be good as gold… and the only way to find out is to try on those ruffles. Once you find a style you like, get it in every color available. That style may not be around next year. Actually, this idea holds true for any piece of clothing that looks good on your apple body.
sarongs good for apple shape swimwear: photo dunnes prshots.com
12. Sarongs and Pareos: If you have a regular swimsuit that makes your tummy look as if it’s pooching out way more than any other tummy on the planet, throw on a sarong as soon as you jump out of the ocean or the pool. No one wants to make small children run screaming to their mothers… well let me reconsider that statement. Are we sure we want those little pissers in the pool? Maybe we should do more to make those kiddies run away screaming.
13. Accessories: Use everything at your disposal to get people to look at something other than your midsection. Large sun hats, oversized sunglasses, piles of colorful bangles, interesting sandals, humongous earrings, and glittery necklaces are the accessories of choice for many women.
If you don’t have enough money (or are otherwise unable) to get a new swimsuit and you don’t want us to think that your husband’s beer gut is contagious, the next best thing is to get a really beautiful silk or rayon sarong. I know I’ve already mentioned this, but you can never have too many of those things. And, coverups are the only swimwear that’s 100% guaranteed to cover up your apple-shaped body. However, it’s hard to go swimming without losing your sarong… so you will need to find some kind of bathing suit… sigh.
More Articles for Older Women Over 40:
Best Swimsuits for Women Over 40, 50, 60
Two Piece Swimsuits for Older Women
How to Wear Animal Prints
Beach Cover-Ups for Women: Plus Size Tunics, Dresses, Caftans, Sarongs
Photo Credits: Prshots.com. (Unfortunately these swimsuits are from last spring. Fortunately, most of the sites carry similarly styled swimsuits each season.)
- Main Photo: 50 Plus.
- Hide Tummy & Divert Attention: Marisota.
- Swimsuits for Apple Bodies: la Redoute 2014, Marisota 2015, Bon Marche 2014.
- V-Neck, Pattern, Halter Swimsuits: Debenham, Fashion World, Long Tall Sally.
- Tankini for Apple Body: Marisota.
- Ruffle Swimsuit for Apple: M n Co 2013.
What do you think of this article? Leave a comment at the bottom of the page or give us a Google Plus.
by Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire) Here are seven fashion trends you can actually wear this spring and summer....
by Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire) There’s more than one way to come up with a functional travel wardrobe...
by Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire) If you're a boomer chick, you might remember lusting after Union Jack clothing...
How to Find the Most Flattering Swimsuit for Your Body Type How to wear ladies scarves
12 View Slideshow Photographed by Brian Bowen Smith.